Sunday, July 24, 2011

"I Witness"

Recently, I witnessed a particularly senseless road traffic accident. I and my friends are in the first vehicle in a line of traffic waiting at a red light; two mopeds, racing one another, sped through traffic and ran the red light. The first moped made it through, the second didn’t. A car, driving at the correct speed through the green light, in the dark, did not see the unlit moped; both rider and passenger were thrown high into the air and landed, each with a sickly thud, on the road. Neither was wearing a helmet. As we had to move on, I have no idea if both survived. Over the next few days I experienced a gamut of feelings – both physical and mental. Immediately I felt nauseous, followed by fear and worry for the injured parties. This swiftly moved to feeling sorry for the poor man who obeyed all traffic rules but would forever carry the burden of guilt for injuring those men. ThenI got angry! These two people, recklessly riding a motorbike built for one person, flouting elementary traffic laws, caused myself and countless other witnesses to worry about them and their welfare. I also realized there were other lives that this needless accident would affect.

Whilst I sincerely hope that these men made a fast recovery from their injuries, they may not — such accidents often result in a lifetime of consequences. In each scenario, milliseconds of foolishness can result in countless years of stress for the victims and their families, not to mention the medical and familial help required. The above is just one of hundreds of accidents that happen here daily and, having given this much thought, I believe that the reason for the appalling driving and the “me first” attitude is selfishness – an abject inability to consider anybody else. But why? Saudi Arabs and expats alike are brought up to be courteous and caring, and the majority of people who I have met, in-Kingdom, are extremely polite and considerate. So, why, when we sit in our vehicles and turn on the ignition, do we forget our upbringing, culture and basic manners, and become selfish and inconsiderate? Isn’t it time we adopt our principles on the road, too, and display the common courtesy that we offer and expect in life in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment